• Katie

11 Top Tips For First Time DIY Waterlooville Landlords

Taking that leap of faith to purchase your first buy to let can quickly go from extremely exciting to terrifying. Some Landlords haven’t made the choice to purchase a buy to let, rather circumstances have changed causing them to rent a property and become what is known as an ‘accidental’ Landlord. Statistics show that nearly one quarter of Landlords are not using an agent which very much scares me. The old phrase of 'I know what I'm doing, I've been doing it for year' haunts me. If I had a pound for every time I had heard this I'd be able to retire! Things are not done like they were 10, 5 or even 1 year ago. There are over 150 pieces of legislation for you to get your head around which is constantly being added to or amended. Getting these wrong can lead to hefty fines or even a prison sentence!

Below are a few top tips on where to start if you are adamant you want to run the risk of a prison sentence:


Ensure the property has a valid EPC (energy performance certificate) and the rating is E or above, since April 2018 the MEES (minimum energy efficient standard) was introduced to improve the energy efficiency of rental properties.

If you aren’t sure the property has an EPC follow the below link to search by the property’s postcode.


HMO (house of multiple occupancy)

This is a property which houses 5 or more occupiers which are from two or more households. A HMO property will need a license which can be applied for via Havant Borough Council website http://www.havant.gov.uk/houses-multiple-occupation, the fee’s for the license are also on this page.

Please note to be able to rent rooms separately there are specific room sizes that need to be adhered too.

• to ensure that the floor area of any room in the HMO used as sleeping accommodation by one person aged over 10 years is not less than 6.51 square metres;

• to ensure that the floor area of any room in the HMO used as sleeping accommodation by two persons aged over 10 years is not less than 10.22 square metres;

• to ensure that the floor area of any room in the HMO used as sleeping accommodation by one person aged under 10 years is not less than 4.64 square metres;

• to ensure that any room in the HMO with a floor area of less than 4.64 square metres is not used as sleeping accommodation.

For a copy of the legislation please follow http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2018/9780111167359/regulation/2

A HMO property will also undergo an inspection from an officer at the council to make sure the property is compliant with the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), the officers will be looking for area’s such as:

• Dampness, and excess cold or heat

• Pollutants such as asbestos, carbon monoxide, lead

• Lack of space, security or lighting, or excessive noise

• Poor hygiene, sanitation, water supply

• Accidents, such as falls, electric shocks, fires, burns and scalds

• Collisions, explosions, or structural collapse.

For a full copy of the HHSRS https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9425/150940.pdf


You have a duty of care to make sure the property is safe and habitable for tenants. If a home isn’t up to the standard of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS), tenants will have the right to take legal action in the courts for breach of contract. For more information please see the link http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/34/section/1/enacted


Every property containing a gas supply and gas appliances will need to have an annual gas safety check carried out via a gas safe engineer. A gas safety certificate needs be given to the tenants at the beginning of a tenancy and then 28 days after the certificate has been renewed periodically.


From 1st July this year it became mandatory for all rented properties in the private sector to need an electrical installation condition report (EICR) prior to the commencement of the tenancy. For all existing tenancies you have until 1st April 2021. During a EICR check such things are checked:

  • The adequacy of the earthing and bonding.

  • Devices for protection against fire and electric shock.

  • Any damage or wear and tear that might affect the safety of the properties inhabitants.

  • Identification of any damaged electrical fittings and accessories.

  • Identification of any exposed live wires that could cause a fire or injury.

This certificate is valid for 5 years at which point the property will need to be rechecked. For more full in depth details about this legislation watch our video https://youtu.be/VJe-iuZRAAY

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms

As of 1st October 2015 it became law for a rental property to have a smoke alarm on each liveable floor of a property and a Carbon Monoxide Alarm in rooms containing a solid fuel appliance. These alarms needs to be tested on the day the tenancy starts and documented.

Property Marketing

Ensure you get some good high definition photos of the property, cut the lawn, have a few plant pots outside to give great kerb appeal. Do all those small maintenance jobs, repaint, clean or replace the carpets if necessary to give the best presentation of the property. If you don’t want to do viewings yourself you can get a Letting Agent to do these. Make sure tenants are throughly referenced before granting a Tenancy. To protect your asset get a Rent and Legal policy in place, this protects you if the tenants stop paying rent or you need to evict tenants via the court.

Know your numbers

It's vital to know what an empty property will cost you per day and per month to be sat empty. Knowing this figure may also aid you to price the property fairly and go for after every single penny. Holding out for top rent leaving the property empty for 1 month can actually cost you money in the long run!


Before the tenancy start date the tenants need to be given the following documentation:

  • Signed Tenancy Agreement

  • Prescribed forms from the deposit protection service

  • Deposit protection certificate

  • How to rent guide https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-rent

  • Full copy of the Energy Performance Certificate

  • Gas safety certificate

  • EICR Report

  • A copy of the license if the property needs one

If the above documentation isn’t provided to the tenants before move in, a section 21 (Form 6A) can not be served on the tenants which gives them two months notice to vacate the property.


Make sure all receipts are kept for costs incurred to do with the rental property and seek the professional advice from an accountant and what can/can’t be claimed.

Since April 2016, an extra 3% stamp duty surcharge on second and buy-to-let homes has been in place.

The phasing out of mortgage interest tax relief began in April 2017 and will be reduced to 25% next year before falling to 0% in April 2020.

Always seek the advice from a professional Letting Agent, Lawyer and Accountant to make sure you are compliant at each step of the way. If you do wish to go it alone, I stronger recommend you join a Landlord association.

I hope the above information has been useful, if you do have any property related questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.


It's a good idea to have a collection of tradesman to hand that you trust and are reliable. You will also need a way to log and keep a record of the maintenance the tenants report along with the actions that you have taken and a timescale for work etc.

24 views0 comments